Sunday, March 9, 2008

Brew Talk: Classics

Hey guys, this week I want to talk about a few of my favorite beers. Even though I rarely drink them nowadays, a handful of beers still hold a special place in my beer-lover's heart.





Bass Pale Ale: Bass Pale Ale is a great beer. Period. Nothing fancy, nothing crazy, just classic high-quality beer. It doesn't even taste like a Pale Ale, really...more of a Brown Ale. But whether I want a drink or two at the bar or I'm in it for the long haul with a 12-pack, Bass is still my #1 pick. Manet painted it, Napoleon loved it, it was on the Titanic when it went down, and their red triangle logo was the first registered trademark in England...it's a classic.




Sam Adams Boston Ale: Boston Ale has always tasted similar to Bass for me. It's malty, smooth, and round. Sam Adams makes many, many fine brews, but this is easily my favorite. It's $1.00 cheaper than the other Sam beers too (I can't figure out why). If it was a buck more I'd still love it. When I interviewed the founders of Terrapin they said Jim Koch, the founder and president of the Boston Brewing Company (Sam Adams), is a big inspiration to smaller brewers everywhere. He sure knows how to brew a classic beer, as the Boston Ale proves.







Sierra Nevada Pale Ale: Sierra Nevada is generally regarded as one of the finest American breweries (along with Sam Adams and a few other, smaller companies). And it's with good reason. Their Pale Ale is crisp, heady, and super flavorful -after 12 bottles it still has kick. The Cascade Hops in the beer give it, and lots of imitators, its distinct bite, creating a true classic and almost single handily birthing the micro brew industry.






Newcastle Brown Ale: Last but definitely not least is another British standard, Newcastle. Newcastle has a special spot among what I consider good beer: whether you love beer, like it, tolerate it, or hate it, chances are Newcastle is going to be in your top 5 (maybe top 10 if you're more experienced). It's light, smooth, and somehow still really tasty. Flat out, this is a classic beer.

4 comments:

Meredith said...

So I love the idea behind your blog! While I usually stick to wine, I enjoy beer every now and then. I usually stick to the darker beers because I think they have more flavor.
However, there are some ales I do enjoy, and I think that you've nailed them with this post! If Guinness isn't available, I always go for Newcastle since it's still a brown beer (it's just a lot lighter), and I enjoy a Bass every now and then.
I really want to try all of the beers you've reviewed! You make them sound pretty good, and I'm usually up for trying new beers (while Guinness is my favorite, different/change is good sometimes!) One you might want to try, since I noticed the Left Hand brand (can't remember which beer it was exactly), is the Left Hand Milk Stout. Like the name says, it's a stout so it's pretty thick, but it's got a great flavor and appearance in the glass!

Matt said...

Thanks Meredith, change is good sometimes. That's why I rarely drink these guys anymore...I still love them though. And I have had the Milk Stout...if I remember right, I loved it...but I was three sheets to the wind at Triple Play (RIP).

asteph26 said...

I dont drink alot butreading your blog I tried the GA brew newcastle. I have never tried a beer, I stick to martini's and mixed drinks but this was a good cheaper alternative!!thanks for the suggestion!

Southern Comfort said...

I love your blog!! I love beer!! All beer. But I have to agree New Castle and Bass are two of the best. I know you are going to snub your nose at me, but you will most often find me with a natural light. Which I know is a crappy beer, but it does the trick and costs so little. And I love it!! However, we are avid beer drinkers and like to try all new and unusual beers. We love the new store where media play used to be!! And oh yeah, hope we get the sunday sales. Nothing worse than waking up on sunday with a hangover and realizing there's no beer in the fridge! Keep up the great work!