Monday, March 31, 2008

Brew Review: Great Divide St. Bridget's Porter

Hey gang, how's things?

I'm doing great, thanks in part to the wonderful beer I'm reviewing today: Great Divide Brewery's St. Bridget's Porter. Porters aren't exactly popular beers...a lot of brewers don't brew them (for some reason), but I thank Great Divide for brewing this one. Porters have a bad reputation among some beer drinkers, I think, in part because they tend to be pretty heavy in the flavor and alcohol department. That's a valid gripe, but not for St. Bridget's.



Sure, it's thick and it's heavy, but in the best possible way. This beer is like a Cacao Reserve chocolate bar...silky, smooth, thick, slightly bitter...just plain good, really. The pour produces an abundance of frothy head that contrasts beautifully with the dark black of the beer. It smells like metallic chocolate and carbonation. The taste is also fairly carbonated (to help get you over the slight bitterness, I'm guessing) with a deep, rich, super-dry chocolate taste. Notes of coffee and fruit (which one, I'm not sure) round it out. If ever a good cold weather beer was brewed, this is it. It's warm and rich and the taste hangs around for a good hour after you're done.

I'm giving Great Divide's St. Bridget's Porter a 5/5. It's a great beer in a genre of brewing that is sometimes underappreciated.

Great Divide is another Colorado Brewery that surprised me, though I've always been intrigued by them. They brew a beer called Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout that I've been eying for years now. If St. Bridget's Porter is any indication, their other brews are worth checking out.

3 comments:

Tbenton said...

Great review! Where can I buy this one- in the store or does a bar around here serve it? It sounds really rich. My husband said plan a date this weekend, and this will be just what we need!

Tbenton said...

Thanks for the tips. Maybe we will try Taco Mac this weekend. I could definitely use a new favorite beer. I'll report back if I try it!

alassig said...

Good review. I'm going to have to try it if I ever come across it. Beer is not my favorite, but I'm still trying to find the best one.