Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Brew Review: Left Hand Sawtooth Ale

Alright guys, sorry about that last beer. My first negative review...it hurts, but it's true. Anyway, I'm moving on with my life. If it doesn't kill you it only makes you stronger, right?

All kidding aside, though, this week I'm reviewing Left Hand Brewing Company's Sawtooth Ale. This is Left Hand's flagship beer, but even so, it's my first time trying one (I love their Milk Stout, for the record).















Left Hand is based out of Longmont, Colorado (I'm usually a little guarded toward Colorado brewers. I'm not sure why, but I think I perceive them as perceiving themselves to be more "cool" or "hip" than they should). I mean, yea, they're cool...they make beer for a living. But they seem to flaunt it with crazy labels, weird names, and undrinkable weirdness.

Regardless of my feelings towards Colorado based breweries, I love this beer. Sawtooth is a good old standard ale. Nothing crazy here, just malts and hops, and balanced quite well, I'd add. It pours a hazy light copper color with a good amount of head. It smells like it has more punch than it actually does...kind of like an IPA. The taste, though, is classic ale -perfectly balanced with a slight lean toward the malty side, a nice wet mouthfeel, and awesome drinkability. Left Hand's website claims Sawtooth is a great session beer (meaning it's good for drinking more than a few of). I totally agree. I'd put this up there with Bass as far as smooth, crisp, all around balanced beer goes. I actually finished it a lot quicker than I had planned, if that means anything (I think it testifies to its greatness).

I'm giving Left Hand Brewing's Sawtooth Ale a 4.5/5. This is a great, balanced beer and is a perfect representation of what a good ale should be. It's not a 5/5 simply because I reserve 5/5's for more daring beers.

If you like the Sawtooth Ale you'll probably dig Bass, Terrapin's Rye Pale Ale, and or Atlanta Brewing Company's Red Brick Ale.

And again, be sure to check out Left Hand's website. It's really cool and has some of the neatest graphics I've ever seen.

No comments: