Monday, February 25, 2008

Brew Review: North Coast Brewery's Acme California India Pale Ale

Welcome back guys! This week I'm reviewing North Coast Brewery's Acme California IPA.


Before I picked up this bottle, I'd never heard of Acme. I had heard of North Coast, though, as they brew Red Seal Ale, a great, great beer. Apparently Acme was an old San Francisco/Olympia, Washington brewery that started back in 1869. North Coast resurrected the brand and they now make a Pale Ale and an India Pale Ale under the Acme name.


But enough about that. Let's get to the beer. Let me start by saying IPA's are in general my favorite beers. It's hard to make a bad IPA in my opinion. This, however, is not only not bad, it's incredible. Honestly, I think this may be the 3rd best single bottle of beer I've ever had (#1=Milwaukee's Best Light at the LaFayette Golf Course in LaFayette, Georgia. I was on the clock. And underage. And #2=Sierra Nevada Pale Ale at my kitchen table at Milstead Village in Kennesaw, Georgia. That was just a flat-out good beer. I think Boston's "Let Me Take You Home Tonight" was on the radio too, which was nice (If I ever own a bar, I'll play that every night 10 minutes before closing time).


As far as taste goes, there's really nothing new here. It's just a straight-up delicious IPA. It's super, super dry. The finish is really round and, again, dry and crisp. It's lip smacking good. There's not really much else to say other than I give it a 5/5. Try one as soon as possible. Total Wine in Kennesaw sells them in singles and six-packs (they have Red Seal Ale there, too, if you want to check that out as well...I suggest it).



I found a lot of great Acme art too. Check out the link to see old Acme logos, ads, and steins. It's really neat stuff.

1 comment:

Peter Dye said...

I'm a big fan of all of those with the exception of Acme. I've never tried it, but I am a big fan of IPA's so I'll have to check it out. I'm always a little embarrassed reading your blog because the beer I drink with the most frequency is PBR (mainly because it's so ridiculously affordable). But I'm going to have to start branching out to better beers again. I can't think of a better investment.