Monday, March 10, 2008

Brew News: Repealing the Sunday Alcohol Sales Prohibition

What's going on gentle readers? I've got some interesting Brew news today...

If you're like me and don't understand the "Blue" law, the weird law that makes Sunday alcohol sales illegal in Georgia, then you should go sign this petition to have it repealed. The law is about to be brought to a vote and if enough people voice their opposition, it may be overturned. Wouldn't that be something? Instead of stocking up on Saturday, running out early Sunday morning anyway, and hating your drunkard friends (and your drunkard self) for drinking the reserve supply, you can actually go to the store to buy more ON THE DAY YOU WANT IT! Novel idea, I know.






Here's an article about it in the AJC: http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/stories/2008/02/18/booze_0219.html?cxntnid=biz021908e

And here's the petition again: http://www.petitiononline.com/GASB138/petition.html

Tell all your friends! Let's end Prohibition again!

4 comments:

The 31st Floor said...

Please go to www.votesundaysales.com

isobel02 said...

Your blog is fun to read. I am a recent convert to beer from those expensive mixed drinks (sometimes called "girly drinks"). I never thought I would enjoy beer, but now I actually have a few favorites: Sweetwater 420 or Red Stripe, depending on my mood.

I think some people don't realize that beer is like wine in that there are so many different flavors and "notes" and also that different beers go with different meals. I didn't know any of this until very recently, in fact.

Anyway, your blog is great because it is actually informed AND informative, so keep up the good work.

Peter Dye said...

Thanks for posting that link. I have yet to hear a good justification for why the selling of alcohol is prohibitted on Sundays. The only thing I ever hear about is some allusion to keeping the Sabbath holy, but you're allowed to go to church and sip the wine and eat the crackers on Sunday. It doesn't make much sense to me.

walktalkhealth said...

There are over 50,000 signatures now so I am hoping this goes through. It has to be one of the dumbest laws ever. It is right up there with PA and their 'state stores' for selling liquor (patronage is still alive and well).

My son is a fan of the Terrapin brews, and makes his own beer (since before he was legal)and though I am a light drinker at best, I have come to understand hops when he explains it to me.

Your site is well developed, very interesting, and has fantastic graphics. I hope you continue with it.

Prosit!
Kathy M