Sunday, March 23, 2008

Brew Review: Flying Dog Special Release: Wild Dog Weizenbock Ale

What's going on guys? This week I had planned on reviewing a Flying Dog Special Release: Weizenbock Ale. After I popped the cork (yep, it had a cork) I smelled it...and, to be honest, the smell scared me. Kind of a weak wine smell, a little grapy. But, I pushed on, undaunted. After pouring the beer I smelled it again. Still funky. I took a drink, passed it around to my roommates, and settled on my opinion. It sucked. Maybe I just don't get this style or maybe I got a bad bottle, but either way, it wasn't good. It was flat, wine-like but without any of the redeeming qualities of wine, and kind of tasted like alka-seltzered plum juice. I couldn't finish the bottle (it was a 750 ml bottle).

Needless to say, I give the Flying Dog Special Release: Wild Dog Weizenbock Ale a 1/1.

I'll try another tomorrow. I'm thinking of a good old standard Ale. See ya'll next time.

No comments: