Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Brew Review: Samuel Adams Double Bock

Hey guys,

Today I'm reviewing Sam Adams' Double Bock, a seasonal beer that the Boston Beer Company released this Winter. Until 2005 this beer wasn't able to be sold in Georgia because of its high alcohol content (8.8%); but now that it's here I can say, with only a hint of irony in my voice, "Thank you Georgia House Bill 645!"
(Before HB645 6% was the limit. It's now 15%!)

Seriously though, this is good beer. When I first started drinking beer my favorite brews were malty, sweet beers like Bass and Amberbock. I've since grown away from those beers, but Sam Adams Double Bock just made me remember why I loved malty beers in the first place.

The first thing you notice about this beer is the deep ruby color with very little head. It smells great too- like roses and weak whiskey. The first flavors to come across are warm, sweet, mild roasted malts. In the middle the flavors build up to show more of the cereal grain flavor and a smooth alcohol reminder that this beer is 8.8% ABV. It finishes smooth, with what I say (and my friends disagree) tastes like rose petals and velvet (if something can taste like velvet, that is). It left a pretty weak aftertaste, kind of dry and a little sugary. As I finished the beer I noticed it getting sweeter and sweeter, with less of the alcohol taste.

I'm giving Sam Adams Double Bock a 4.5/5. It's a great malt-heavy beer that gets everything right. I'm keeping it .5 short only because the sweetness would probably get old with a whole 6-pack. Still though, this is an excellent beer made by an excellent brewer.

Drink up!

1 comment:

Alley Cat said...

ha! you make beer almost sound tasty....

i don't drink, but i don't have a problem with people who do. we're entitled to enjoy different things, right? i have enjoyed your blog so far; i get a kick out of it, and you're really good with descriptions.

cheers!