Sunday, January 27, 2008

Brew Review: Sweetwater Happy Ending

For the first post on Brew Review I'm going to take a closer look at Sweetwater's new brew, an Imperial Stout called Happy Ending.



Before I get to the actual rating though, I'll explain what makes Happy Ending an "Imperial" Stout. The main thing is a higher alcohol content than is usual for a stout: A traditional stout like Guinness comes in at 6% alcohol by volume whereas Happy Ending is 9%. The extra alcohol adds tons of interesting flavor notes to the normally dry, almost light stout. The practice of adding extra alcohol to beer started when British merchant ships discovered that they could get a longer shelf life out of higher alcohol by volume beers- during long trips from Britain to British troops in India, Russia, or other countries, a longer shelf life was essential. So anytime you hear of an "Imperial" Pale Ale, an "Imperial" Pilsner, or in our case an Imperial Stout, you know it has a higher than normal ABV (and it probably tastes spicier, bigger, and more complex).


Happy Ending is, as I said earlier, an Imperial Stout and, true to the genre, its balanced nicely between spicy fruit/floral notes and robust chocolate roundness. The first tastes of Happy Ending are bright and floral but the flavor quickly shifts to a more smoky, robust flavor. Some people say its a chocolate taste, some say coffee; I myself tend to lean towards chocolate. Either way, it moves from the robust middle flavor to a flatter malt taste at the finish (despite what the name would have you believe!). For a high gravity beer (any beer over 7% ABV) its surprisingly drinkable.

Anybody who enjoys this beer may also enjoy Terrapin's India Brown Ale (which is only available on draft now, though Terrapin may be bottling it soon), Guinness Stout, or any Oatmeal Stout.

You can find Happy Ending at Total Wine in Kennesaw (any reputable package store will order it for you if you don't live around Kennesaw) for $1.79/bottle or $9.99/six-pack.

I'm giving Sweetwater Happy Ending a 4/5. Its a flat-out tasty beer that is complex and yet still very smooth. It smells great, has a deep, almost black brown color, and leaves a nice lingering taste after each drink. The only thing that keeps it from a being a 5 is that the end notes are a little flat and, in the interest of full disclosure, stouts aren't my favorite style to begin with.

Cheers!

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Hey Matt!
I love that you picked this topic. I drank beer for a very short time in my life. I really enjoyed it but my wallet and my stomach didn't, so after drinking it for just a year and a half, I quit sometime after last July 4th (2007) I will still take a sip of a suggested beer here and there but my personal well-being suffers when I order pitchers or even a glass!!! =]

Anyway, I love your grading scale. I have one suggestion though. Make the scale easily accessible on your side bar. I don't know your plans for the scale, but I think it'd be easier than re-pasting it in each post or not posting it at all.. for a couple reasons. 1. Your scale is specific and interesting as well. Of course it's an important part of your blog. 2. If a newbie finds your site and doesn't bother to read all the way from the beginning, they won't know what the numbers mean. 3. The scale could actually attract people! I think it's something interesting enough that people will be like.. "Oh.. that's what a 4 is? I better find one of those."

Anyway. You may know this stuff already.. but you can either post the scale in your "about me" section at the bottom... or you can choose a new "link" box and link directly to the actual page with the scale on it!

Keep up the good work.. You are a great writer and you have a great personality and sense of humor.. so even though I'm not a beer drinker, I look forward to reading more.. and I plan to share your blog with my beer drinking buddies!!

Heidi =]

ps. lemme know when Talon comes out.. I am very interested to see it!!!

Tbenton said...

This sounds like a great beer. I've tried other Sweetwater brews and will definitely keep my eyes open for this new one! I really like your ratings as well. I am curious to see what other beer you will be reviewing. The photos are great too. Heidi, we need to get out for a drink sometime!