Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Brew News: Terrapin Brewery Open for Tours

Got some brew news guys,


Terrapin opened up their brand new brewery yesterday in Athens. They're doing tours on Mondays and Thursdays from 5-7 plus the second Saturday of each month from 2-5. I went on the 2nd tour ever given yesterday, and I must say it was pretty cool. Getting to see where your favorite beer is made, who makes it, how it's brewed...it's neat. It makes the beer better too. They even had live music.

The facility is in Athens, Georgia at 256 Newton Bridge Rd. It's a fairly easy drive (and a decent ways from downtown) and well worth it. You can do the tour for free, but you only get a tiny medicine cup to sample their beers, or you can pay $7.00 for a free Terrapin glass and 6 tickets (each ticket gets six ounces of beer). They have Rye Pale Ale, Golden Ale, India Brown Ale, All-American Imperial Pilsner, and the just-out-of-the-brewery Rye Squared on draft.
Also, I was able to talk to the Marketing Director, Dustin Watts, and he said the India Brown Ale will start being bottled in the next few months (trust me, if you haven't had it...it's great). He told me that a new line called Side Project will be starting soon too, where single 50 barrel batchs of a special one time only brew will be made. The first one is called, ironically, Hop Shortage (there's a huge world-wide hop shortage). Be on the lookout.

Cheers!

3 comments:

The Grants said...

The review on the tour was very interesting. Years ago when we were in St. Louis we visited the Budweiser Brewery (yea, I know....everybody has done that one.)and I really enjoyed it. I'm not a huge beer connoisseur but I do enjoy trying new beers just to say I've done it. (grin) I didn't even drink beer until my 30's when I started playing tennis and you were required to drink a cold one after a long, hot match. (LOL...yep, I played on a very interesting team back then.) I quickly realized that I had a "taste" for the stuff as long as it was really, really cold. There's nothing like a good ole "cold one" after you've ran around on a hot Mississippi tennis court for three hours.
I've read many of your posts so far and I'm enjoying your take on the different brands and your sense of humor.
I look forward to visiting your blog again very soon!
~Leilani~

LauraM said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LauraM said...

Thanks for this review! I'll be in Athens in May, so maybe my friends and I will check this out. When I lived in Athens, there was a little brewery and restaurant . . . I can't remember the name anymore, and I must have thrown out the matchbook from there--wonder if it's still around. We enjoyed that one. Here in Atlanta, we like Five Seasons.