Thursday, October 14, 2010

Yuengling's Lord Chesterfield Ale

Back in August, at the 16th Annual Southern Brewer's Festival in Chattanooga, TN, I battled the heat, the crowd, and the excessive pretzel necklaces in order to try some of the country's best beers. Normally, I try a few too many and end up forgetting all the different beers I tried. This time, though, in the interest of beer journalism (and the desire to avoid heat stroke), I kept it to a more reasonable four.


One of those beers came from a familiar name: Yuengling.  But the beer, Lord Chesterfield Ale, was less familiar. In fact, I'd never heard of it (turns out they have Lord Chesterfield Societies up north... no kidding.)



Anyway, the beer was great. It was my favorite of the festival.  I hadn't really thought much more about it until I came across a six-pack in a convienence store today. Surprised, I ponied up the $7.00 and bought some. Again, in the interest of beer journalism -I've got to keep you guys informed!


Right!?

Right.

Ok, first, the luster that Lord Chesterfield had at the festival has faded.  The draft beer at the festival had a bold, round flavor, whereas this bottle was flatter and more one-diminsional.

Out of the bottle, it smells Dutch (think Grolsch or Heineken).  Where those beers are bold and bright, Lord Chesterfield leaves a flat initial taste with a mild, dry carbonated sourness through the middle.  It finishes clean and dry with some notes of bitter grain. 

Let's personify the taste: Lord Chesterfield (he was a real guy -a British diplomat back in the 18th century, apparently) takes a carriage ride to the Netherlands to introduce a new plan to defeat the French or the Spanish or whomever. While there, he drinks a Grolsch, thinks 'I'd like a Pale Ale from back home', and takes an Alka-Seltzer (he had a headache?).

They didn't make Alka-Seltzer back then?


Well, IF THEY DID, then that's what Lord Chesterfield Ale would taste like.



I don't want to sound too negative though, I do think it would make a great session-drinker.  It's light, crisp flavor keeps you coming back for more and doesn't bludgeon your taste buds with complexity.  All things considered, I enjoyed my bottle of Lord Chesterfield Ale, but it was nothing special and it certainly didn't live up to the keg from the festival.

I give Yuengling's bottled Lord Chesterfield Ale a 2.5 out of 5 and the draft version a 4/5.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can tell you what your problem was. The second time you bought it bottled. Yuengling uses green glass for the bottled Lord Chesterfield Ale and everyone knows (except Yuengling, apparently) that beer skunks in anything other than brown glass. When you buy it on tap, it spends it's entire life from the brewery until the time it is served inside a keg where no light gets to it so it tastes a lot better. Your readers need to be aware of that fact before they condemn the product based on the bottled flavor.

Anonymous said...

Better in cans than the green bottles... Never had it on tap.

Anonymous said...

As a native Pennsylvanian (now in NYC), I have always loved "the Lord", and recently turned some camping/canoeing pals onto it on a trip down the Del. Water Gap. I will say two things about it--it is a fantastic summer session beer, and it is MUCH better from a can (I, too, have had skunky Chets from green bottles).

Anonymous said...

Lord Chesterfield Ale or Chetty to the Pottsville PA natives, is not by any means a great beer. It is however a tasty crisp brew. It is easier to drink than the heavy Lager and more flavorful than the Premium Yuengling offerings. This beer tastes best after a long day of work in the Hot humid summer sun. Also when drinking, anything warmer than ice cold is unacceptable.

Anonymous said...

Dec 23/2015 Yuengling beer tast no good. Lord Chesterfield Ale . phone 570-622-0153.
Got it at Wegmans grocery store (570) 383-8721, 1315 Scranton-Carbondale Rt 6, Scranton, PA 18505
12 oz green bottle twist off long neck bottle, no freshness date that could find so I called a man no name said the light at Wegmans was at fault,
light sensitive beer then told me where the date was at on the neck of the bottle and to hold it to the light to find it I could see some number
it was in code. it was too old and that he would have to talk to the store. Took down my information and will send a call tag and beer
I was happy with that. It is Now 01/26/2016 no beer. ps all code have disappeared what up with that.