Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale 2010

Is it weird that lagers are best in warm weather (they're cold brewed) and ales are best in cold weather (and they're warm brewed)?

Maybe a little weird?

OK, not really weird at all. But, funny.

It is funny.

Weird, funny, or otherwise, the winter seasonals are among us -it's time to start drinking! (And reviewing!)

To start, I thought I'd get the Brew Review Georgia holiday season rolling with a tried and true classic: Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale.


First, I've got to say that this beer should be brewed year-round. It's basically a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale with a ramped up profile and a less aggressive hops flavor. There are no spices and no flavoring agents.  The piny hops taste is huge and round and as the flavor dissipates it turns into a dry, roasted malty tingle  (If that sounds strange, I swear it isn't. Just big and bold, without being aggressive or over-the-top). The alcohol percentage is a high 6.8%, but you'd never know it from the taste.

It pours a beautiful amber color with a lot of frothy head. It's also dry hopped, so the smell is intense.

All this talk of gigantic flavors and smells could lead one to think that Celebration Ale isn't drinkable, but that's definitely not the case.  In fact, it's extremely drinkable: the six pack I bought was gone before I realized it. Whoops! I guess I'll just have to buy more!

Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale is truly a one-off worthy beer that's also sessionable. I give it a 5/5.  So, go celebrate! And drink up!

(And come back next week to see more seasonal reviews!)

No comments: